Wednesday, June 13, 2007

(215)

Sorry, no new pictures of Sebi. I haven't had the chance today and he is already asleep. He is still having gas troubles, unfortunately, but nothing egregious yet. Here is a tip for you future parents: in addition to the aforementioned "Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD (which we should have just rented out of the library), check out these slings. Mariah has one from that company and my mom has one that Rosario gave her. Normally he goes in that thing, calms down immediately, and either watches the world go by or passes out. Apparently it is very reminiscent of the womb. I have spoken with Ron and JJ Killins, infant-rearing experts, and they both agree on the great usefulness of both items. That means 100% of Killinses interviewed would highly recommend these products for your infant. Operators are standing by- call now.

Anyway, I just pulled up WRTI on the internet, which is our former Jazz and Classical Public Radio station from Philadelphia, and it has made Mariah and I very nostalgic for Philly. Mariah would kill for a strawberry french toast from Ernesto's (if you are ever in Philly, it is a must). One of the things we miss most, however, is our good friends, the Rubios. We met Tito and Anna Rubio when we moved to Philadelphia because Tito is a Flamenco guitarists and Anna is a dancer. Mariah joined their company (Flamenco del Encuentro) and the rest is history. Eventually, their lovely daughter Toni switched from Opera singing to Flamenco and also joined. The only two chumps that didn't get in on the action were me and their nine-year-old son, David. The two of us used to play while the crew rehearsed. Anyway, here are some pictures of the good times. Also pictured is Liliana, another very good friend of Mariah's who danced with the company and had sick footwork, and Joey, who was actually with a Lebanese band but collaborated with the company pretty often. We miss you all very much!

By the way, interesting side note: Mariah's stage name was "Mariah del Chico," which was chosen for her by Anna.

Anna and Mariah at the Mummers Parade on Broad St (New Year's Day)

David is the hoodlum bustin' caps into the crowd. We wish we had more photos of David, but he only ever stood still long enough to aim. This is also at the Mummer's Parade.

Toni, Anna, and Mariah before performing at Penn U

Toni and Tito

Liliana and Toni

The company at Amada in Philly (with my man Joey on percussion)

Mariah's solo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEARESTCHICOMARIAHYSEBI...
I just checked your blog and you made my day. We miss you so much and we look forward to meeting the youngest Jones! We don't even have your address to send the little guy a gift!
I'm sure Mariah misses dancing, but I want to assure her that God has given us time for everything we have to do!
The Work assigned for right now is the most wonderful Work a woman can do..believe me, I have been blessed with that assignment twice!
And I just know Mariah is doing an amazing job..just looking at the little turtle and his proud Papa tells me so!!!!!
LOVE AND BLESSINGS FROM LOS RUBIO

J.J. said...

you guys are silly! but seriously the sling action is a must.